If you have lost one or more teeth, you may think that there is nothing to remedy your toothless situation. Fortunately for you, getting dental implants is a long-lasting and realistic-looking way to replace missing teeth. Below, we answer the most common questions our patients have about dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a dental crown or bridge that is secured into the jaw by a strong, biocompatible titanium rod that functions as a replacement root.
Why Are Dental Implants a Good Choice?
Dental implants look and function like real teeth. Because the titanium rod is fused to your jawbone, it keeps your jaws strong and lasts longer than most tooth replacement options. Dental implants also help prevent your teeth from shifting and your cheeks from sinking in so you don’t look older than you actually are.
Who Is Eligible for Dental Implants?
If you are missing one or more teeth, you are likely eligible for dental implants. However, discuss with our dentists which tooth replacement option is best for you.
What Is the Procedure for Dental Implants?
The procedure takes between five or six months, but can be upwards to one year, depending on how many implants you’re receiving and which jaw they’ll be fusing to.
- During your first consultation, we will take X-rays and impressions of your teeth to make models for your crowns.
- At your next visit, we will make an incision in your gums and drill into your jawbone. But don’t worry, you will be sedated during this procedure and won’t feel any pain!
- After we drill the hole into your bone, we will place the titanium rod into the hole and sew up the incision.
- After the rod fuses to your bone, you’ll come back to our office for the second part of your procedure.
- We will re-open the incision to expose the implant and place another titanium part called an abutment that will hold a temporary crown in place, which you will have for four to six weeks.
- Finally, you will return to our office again to receive your permanent crown.
How Do I Care for Dental Implants?
Taking care of a dental implant is just like caring for a regular tooth. You can brush it, floss around it, and talk and eat with it like you did with your natural tooth. Keep in mind that although dental implants are not vulnerable to cavities since they are made of artificial materials, it’s critical to keep your gums in excellent health to maintain the integrity of your implants.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
An implant that is well taken care of can last up to 25 years!
Consult with Our Expert Team!
Interested in learning more about dental implants or our other tooth replacement procedures? Artistic Dentistry offers complete start-to-finish dental implant services so you can sit back, relax, and have every stage of the process taken care of in-house. Contact us to schedule a consultation today.Contact Us