Alternatives to Flossing

water flosser sitting on a bathroom counter

If you’re not in the habit of flossing regularly, you might want to think again. Conventional toothbrushes only clean about 60% of your tooth’s surface, leaving that other 40% at increased risk for cavities and decay. Not only does flossing help clean those hard-to-reach areas, it can also lead to fresher breath and many other benefits. If you’re just not a fan of traditional floss, that’s okay. We’ve compiled this list of alternatives to flossing to help you find the best option for your smile.

Dental Picks

We never recommend using toothpicks to remove food from between your teeth. Dental picks, however, are an alternative to flossing that some patients prefer. They’re made from plastic or wood and can help remove plaque from between your teeth and gums. One of the drawbacks of dental picks is that they can move bacteria around in your mouth unless you use a new pick for each tooth.

Pre-Threaded Floss

Traditional dental floss can be tricky to maneuver, so some patients prefer pre-threaded floss as an alternative. Pre-threaded flossers come in packets and are easy to use with just one hand. We recommend buying a couple packs and keeping them at home, in the car, and at the office.

Water Flosser

If you’re over dental floss entirely, a water flosser might be just the solution for you. Water flossers use a steady stream of water to clear away plaque and food particles that are trapped between the teeth. They’re easy to manipulate and can be used with just one hand, making them a great solution for people with mobility issues.

Interdental Brushes

A mini toothbrush designed to clean between your teeth, interdental brushes are another alternative to flossing. In fact, Dr. Keys often recommends interdental brushes to patients with braces. Even some patients without braces prefer interdental brushes and report that they’re easier to use than dental floss.

Don’t let your aversion to dental floss keep you from protecting your teeth. To ask our team any questions about alternatives to flossing or to schedule an appointment, call us today!

Contact Us